Welcome to the Particle and Nuclear Physics Group, where research covers many areas of current focus in the Particle and Nuclear Physics community. They can be broadly grouped into:
- Quantum Field Theory: Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD); QCD vacuum structure and confinement/deconfinement mechanism; Lattice QCD; Effective field theory and chiral models; Nonperturbative methods; Strongly interacting field theories; Mathematical aspects of quantum field theory; Semiclassical Methods; Gauge theory.
- Particle Physics: Quark-gluon plasma phase transition of QCD at high temperature; Neutrinos; Low-x physics; Hadronic scattering at high energy at the LHC; Heavy ion collisions; CP-violation; Anomalous magnetic moment of the muon (g-2); rare meson decays; form factors, parton distributions and generalized parton distributions of the nucleon.
- Astro-Particle Physics: Inflationary cosmology; Dark Matter; Neutrino physics; Brane gravity; Conformal gravity; General relativity and gravitation; Black holes; Relativistic astrophysics; Quantum cosmology; The nature of time.
- Research in nuclear physics at the University of Connecticut seeks both to understand the nucleus as a strong-interacting many-body system and to use the nucleus as a “laboratory” for the study of fundamental interactions.
- We carry out extensive research in nuclear astrophysics, electroweak interactions in hadrons and nuclei, the structure of the nucleon and mesons
- Further information is available about these research areas.
Laboratory for Nuclear Science at Avery Point(M. Gai):
- The Laboratory for Astrophysics located at the Avery Point campus in Groton, CT (aka as the Laboratory for Nuclear Science at Avery Point) is engaged in the study of Big Bang Nucleosynthesis and Stellar Evolution.
- We develop in-house sophisticated detectors (e.g. optical readout TPC, electronic readout TPC in collaboration with Warsaw, and Neutron Detector in collaboration with Yale) that are used for measurements at Duke in the USA, SARAF in Israel and ELI-NP in Bucharest, Romania.