How and Where to Find Help with a Difficult Situation
While the Physics Department is committed to maintaining an inclusive and friendly workplace for all, situations can develop where someone may need counseling or assistance in resolving a conflict. We believe that it is better to address such concerns as soon as they arise.
For this reason, we have established several alternatives for confidential help or advice to choose from:
- Ombudspeople: several people have agreed to serve as an initial confidential contact with whom you can discuss any problem. No action will be taken without your explicit consent. The ombudsperson will then suggest various courses of action for you to consider. Contact information is listed below.
- Anonymous webform: this form allows you to communicate directly with the Department Head, either identifying yourself or anonymously. Once again, confidentiality will be totally respected, if requested. If the message contains an anonymous and non-confidential suggestion, the Department Head may pass this along to the Diversity and Multiculturalism Committee. Otherwise, the Department Head will use his/her discretion as to how to proceed.
- Diversity and Multiculturalism Committee: all members of this committee are available to discuss general issues and policies in the department, especially issues pertaining to suggestions for specific positive measures and identifying areas needing improvement. However, the committee will generally not be involved in resolving specific conflicts.
- University resources: the University of Connecticut maintains its own policies and procedures for identifying and reporting problems. Below is a partial list of links for more information. Any D&M Committee member or Advisory Board member would be happy to offer direction.
- Heather Osborne, Staff, Physics (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cynthia Peterson, Professor, Physics (email@example.com)
- Dave Perry, Staff, Physics (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vikki Robinson, Professor, Molecular and Cell Biology (email@example.com)